Monday, July 16, 2012

Newport: Campbell's Hall of Fame Tennis Championships

Since Oxford ended, one of my friends who went on the trip and I have been trying to meet up during the summer before university starts in the fall. Today, he invited me to join his family and watch a few matches match at the International Tennis Hall of Fame

I do not have any knowledge of the tennis world--let alone any other sport--but why not go and spend time with a good friend?

We saw the finals of Campbell's Hall of Fame Tennis Championship. It turns out one of the players and the winner of the singles tournament, John Isner, will be representing the United States at the Olympics in London, so it was exciting to an Olympian athlete in action.

I enjoyed watching the matches a lot more than I thought I would. I suppose there is quite a difference between being in the stands at the game and staring at a television screen. 

Afterwards, we went to dinner at the Canfield House a few doors down from the Hall of Fame. It is right next to Dunkin Donuts on Memorial Boulevard on the way to Apothecary Newport, but my friends and I never stopped in before. We must have passed it countless times before.

It was so hard to choose from the menu, because everything looked so good! I ordered mussels and clams as an appetizer and pasta bolognese as an entree. The Canfield House is now one of my favorite restaurants in Newport.   

Walking down Narragansett Avenue

Viking Trolley Tour on Bellevue Ave

The International Tennis Hall of Fame


Corona was one of the sponsors of the tournament

Vendor stands, including a few local clothing boutiques, products, Del's Lemonade, Pizza Hollywood, and other various concessions
Perrier lounge--coolest marketing concept


Singles: John Isner vs. Lleyton Hewitt
John Isner

John Isner being presented as the winner of the singles Campbell's Hall of Fame Tennis Championship
Doubles final: Santiago Gonzalez (Mexico) and Scott Lipsky  (USA)  vs.  Colin Fleming (Great Britain) and  Ross Hutchins (Great Britain)



Canfield House



Appetizer: Pei Mussels and Local Littleneck Clams; steamed in a light broth of garlic, white wine, lemon, fresh thyme, and butter
Entree: Pasta Bolognese; tender tip and sweet Italian sausage , campanelle pasta,  shredded parmesan cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment