Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Newport/Narragansett: More Holiday Shopping and Fair Trade Tuesday

Before my usual Starbucks run and work, I went to Wish Newport just to browse, but of course, my detour ended with a small purchase. Wish Newport, which sells designer women's consignment, also sells young children's designer consignment for babies and toddlers. My cousin is expecting her second son in mid January, so I picked up two Ralph Lauren onesies for only $12.00. Now that's a bargain.


After that successful steal, I want to go back and buy some more things for my cousin's eldest son, who is currently 15 months old. 

On Facebook, Newport Mercury posted that they needed someone to do a bow-making demonstration for an elaborate big bow. To be completely honest, I think it would be more useful if they covered an article about how to wrap gifts, because there are some atrocious gift wrappers out there who can barely tape the wrapping paper together, let alone make a bow. I sent the paper an email that I would be glad to help. Regardless of whether or not they respond, I think it would be a good idea to do How-Tos on gift wrapping.


The Fair Trade fashion assignment is going well so far. I have one more interview tomorrow, but after that, I just need to do some research and write the draft for early December. 

In fact, one of my interviewees, Ms. Renee Bowers of the Fair Trade Federation, says that tomorrow is Fair Trade Tuesday! In response to the other shopping holidays after Thanksgiving, I think it is a great way to encourage the public to buy Fair Trade for holiday gifts. 

Fair Trade Tuesday, created by Global Goods Partners, supports by Fair Trade organizations across the nation:

Fair Tuesday (hashtag #FairTuesday) is an initiative created in response to Black Friday and Cyber Monday. The goal of #FairTuesday is to inspire conscious consumerism and show how an everyday purchase can change lives in a whole community. We are featuring fair trade, ethical, and eco-friendly brands and inviting other businesses to take a step towards sustainability.

In the future, I hope Small Business Saturday and Fair Trade Tuesday gain a higher following around the holidays and year-round.



Monday's Outfit

No comments:

Post a Comment