Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Boston Calling Spring 2014

For many years, Memorial Day weekend was spent by the beach or marching in the town parade. 

As much as I love going to the beach, I am happy to have spent this year's Memorial Day weekend with Ryan at Boston Calling music festival. This was our second time attending.

Boston Calling, which has been a two-day festival, added performers for Friday night this season--Jack Johnson was the headliner--but we didn't get tickets. It worked out just fine, though--Ryan and I grabbed lunch at Tavern in the Square in Allston, then spent most of the day relaxing. 

Tuscan Quinoa Veggie Burger at Tavern in the Square:
House-made vegetable burger with roasted vegetables, quinoa, sweet potato & black beans. Served on a multi-grain roll with a side of pickles
Grilled eggplant, roasted portabella mushrooms, mozzarella cheese, and pesto

 
The Neighbourhood


We saw The Neighbourhood and Death Cab for Cutie on Saturday, then Tegan and Sara and Bastille on Sunday. I already saw The Neighbourhood last fall at Lupo's in Providence, but was happy to see them again.

The other three bands--Death Cab for Cutie, Tegan and Sara, and Bastille--exceeded my expectations. I definitely didn't expect that they would sound bad live, but I don't think I had anticipated how amazing they would sound and perform. I can proudly say that I knew the majority of the songs all of the bands played.

Also, you'll notice that Ryan and I are wearing the same pair of sunglasses. We went to Urban Outfitters in Quincy Market on Saturday to find sunglasses and we immediately picked up the same pair. 


Death Cab for Cutie

Leather jacket, wedge sneakers, black dress... I think I dressed right for an urban music festival. 
I couldn't help but notice a lot of girls wearing flower crowns and tie-dye maxi skirts at Boston Calling. There isn't a dress code for these things, but Boston Calling isn't the same as Coachella...

Arm party gets real on Day 2


Tegan and Sara

Bastille

Everyone dancing to "Pompeii"

I had a really great time at Boston Calling this weekend. I'm thinking about getting Saturday and Sunday tickets in the fall to see Lorde (Royals, Team, etc.), Spoon (The Underdog, Mystery Zone), The 1975 (Chocolate, The City) and Twenty One Pilots (Holding Onto You, House of Gold). One day I hope to see hellogoodbye on the roster, because that would be a dream come true.

Hope to see you again, Boston Calling...

No comments:

Post a Comment