Thursday, March 5, 2015

Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham

After finishing reading Lena Dunham's book, I'm still deciding how I feel about it. 


I did enjoy reading it... I think. 


As a millennial, reading this book requires a self-reflection. There were several times where I felt frustrated with Dunham's vignettes, the same way I had grown accustomed being annoyed with Hannah's character on Girls, but I soon figured out that I was more frustrated with myself that I could relate to Dunham... It's a hard feeling to articulate.

Maybe it's because Dunham's honesty about her flaws, her less-than-picture-perfect stories, make me think about my own shortcomings and remind me that being a 20something is such a weird place in life.

I've read a lot of great things about Dunham--she's undoubtedly talented, hard-working and has been described as incredibly kind. Perhaps the magic of her work is that she makes her viewers think--isn't that the desired effect of a good story?

No comments:

Post a Comment