Sunday, May 31, 2015

Bedroom Furniture | The Dresser

This was the most important piece of furniture I found. 


Without it, I wouldn't have been able to unpack the rest of my clothes. 


The Dresser
  • Where: Portsmouth, RI
  • How: Sheer. Dumb. Luck.
  • Cost: FREE
  • Makeover: paint job

At this point in my yard sale search, I felt like I found everything else that I needed except for what I needed the most: a dresser.

As I was looking for a yard sale, I saw a hodgepodge of furniture in front of one house, including a wooden dresser. There was no sign indicating a yard sale, but I pulled over anyway, boldly walked to the front door and knocked.

A woman answered the door. I apologized for my intrusion, but proceeded to ask if she was having a yard sale.

She laughed lightly at first, said no, then went on to explain how she and her husband had just cleaned out the garage.

Embarassed, yet still determined, I told her I had seen a dresser in her front yard that I would be interested in. She was kind enough to oblige my interest and we walked over to check things out.

It turned out that the dresser I had seen from the road was from the woman's childhood—she was holding onto it in the hopes of restoring it. However, she did point to a neglected dresser towards the back of the pile that had been sitting in her garage for years...

Maybe it was because of how I had awkwardly imposed myself on this kind woman or because I knew the dresser would fit in my car, but whatever the reason, I took it.

I had offered to pay for the dresser, but the woman insisted on giving it to me for no charge. In truth, she seemed quite pleased to get rid of it.

My favorite part of this story was moving the dresser into the car. The woman had warned me it was heavy and said she could get her husband to move it—I smiled at her and said it would be fine. As we both lifted the dresser and carried it towards the car, she seemed fairly impressed that I could carry the weight.

"You're strong for a small individual," she said.

Yes. Yes, I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment