Sunday, August 28, 2016

Rothbard Ale + Larder

Meet the new watering hole for the Oktoberfest-obsessed and other Europhiles


While I studied a summer abroad in Oxford, England, European pub culture fascinated me—I fell in love with the comfortable feeling of sitting on the broken-in wooden bar stools, enjoying the company of friends and sipping Pimm's Cup made with fresh fruit.

I may not be a beer drinker, but after drinking every Pimm's Cup in Oxford City Center, I take this white girl English cocktail more seriously than I should.

There are two places where I've ordered Pimm's Cup stateside and not been disappointed. The first is the Clarke Cooke House in Newport, Rhode Island. The second is Rothbard Ale + Larder in Westport, Connecticut. 


I don't really care sounding incredibly biased when I say that there is nothing disappointing about Rothbard. The first time I sat at the bar for dinner, I thought I walked back into Oxford. Or somewhere in Berlin. 

It's the European pub with the understated, modern finishes to make the sophisticated American comfortable. The dim lighting is alluring, but not dark. The seating is stylish and comfortable, but not heavily worn. 

The menu is simple, but the meal tastes as beautiful as it looks. 


Bouillabaise and Pimm's Cup


Roasted chicken with broccoli rabe and potatoes and French 375



Moules frites and a-saison-I-can't-remember-the-name-of

It's worth mentioning that Rothbard has come to Westport perfectly packaged because of the success of Walrus + Carpenter, its American sister restaurant in Black Rock. Walrus + Carpenter has earned several nods, including being voted one of the Best Restaurants in Connecticut for Barbecue, Craft Beer and Cocktails for the past three years by Connecticut Magazine

Looking forward to seeing Rothbard gain popularity with the Westport crowd!

No comments:

Post a Comment