Friday, September 28, 2012

Newport/Kingston: Black Diamond MMA

After French class, I headed down to Black Diamond Mixed Martial Arts for my fitness consultation.

I am not quite sure what I was expecting it to be like. I took Tae Kwon Doe as a kid and have done a pretty good job staying in shape despite the fact I never participated in school sports. In high school, I went to the gym, used the elliptical, the treadmill, and whatever basic equipment amateur work out people do. Recently I have been doing light workouts in the morning at home (a combination of cardio, yoga, pilates). I am fairly accustomed to exercising in sterile gyms and on my bedroom floor.

When I got to the facility, the converted factory space did creep me out slightly at first. It's probably because of my horror films course, projecting weird thoughts of someone popping out from the corner or hiding behind the old wooden doors.

Josh, the trainer I spoke with yesterday on the phone, walked me through the facility and the expectations of the women's boot camp. He was great fun to talk to and it was clear he was happy to be there.

First, Josh gave some basic instruction--how to jab, cross, elbow; how to stand, how to keep my hands up. It was easy, because it was similar to what I learned in Tae Kwon Doe years ago. The physical assessment was the more difficult part of the day.  The test involved six one-minute exercises--push-ups, sit-ups, squats, burpees, wall-sit, and planks. I think I did well, though--even Josh admitted he was impressed at my 36 push-ups.

I am thinking about going back Tuesday and Thursday next week--the women's boot camp runs from 6:15pm-7:00, Monday-Thursday.

To learn more about Black Diamond MMA, please click here.

Today's Outfit: Sweater, aerie; Tank Top, Sugar Lips; Shorts, Old Navy; Sneakers, Asics; 

Free shirt!

1 comment:

  1. Buy MMA Gadgets on the internet or in our riofightwear shop in Canada! Find out T-shirts, barbados, caps, hooded perspire shirts, having difficulties shirts, battling barbados, kick-boxing barbados, you name it.

    Buy Your Product jiu jitsu kimonos

    ReplyDelete