Sunday, November 4, 2012

Narragansett: PGC 2012 Prize Packages and Some Product Reviews

The highlight of my weekend: getting the rest of my prizes from the Project Green Challenge! I have gotten three packages prior to this delivery, but blanked on blogging about them. 

As you can see, I got a ton of stuff...


Fair Trade/Organic goodies from Alter Eco: Organic Mascobado Cane Sugar; Organic Royal Pearl Quinoa; Thai Sticky Purple Rice; Dark Blackout chocolate;Dark Coco Toffee chocolate; Dark Quinoa chocolate

Clockwise from top: Neal's Yard canvas tote; Earthlust water bottle; Neal's Yard travel skincare; Radius toothbrush; Rainbow Light vitamins; One Mango Tree eye pillow; Radius vegan cranberry floss, protein energizer in vanilla, Aubrey Organics sunscreen; Aubrey Organics bath bar

Clockwise from top: eco notebooks by New Leaf Paper and Kerjriwal; Guayaki Yerba Mate; Nature's Path Oatmeal; Teens Turning Green/Astara Skincare Sunstar Purifying Mask; Nature's Path Toaster Pastries; Weleda Skin Food Moisturizing Lotion w/gloves; Numi Organic Tea assorted tea bags; Aubrey Organics sunscreen; Pasta Samples by Eden Organics; Swisspers Organic Cotton Swabs; Aubrey Organics Lip Balm; Teens Turning Green/EO hand sanitizer; Neal's Yard beauty sample; stainless steel travel containers; Kopali Organics Organic Chocolate Covered Mulberries; Aubrey Organics Men's Face Scrub and moisturizer; Natracare feminine product samples; RW Garcia Veggie Dipping Chips; PeopleTowels reusable paper towel; "Green Goes with Everything" by Sloan Barnett

You can imagine that after opening the boxes and reviewing all of the prizes, I was thrilled! Now it was just a matter of testing everything out. So today, while working on a Powerpoint presentation on French Polynesia (which suffers greatly from climate change, by the way), I tried out some of the products.

It should be noted that the Kopali Organics Chocolate Covered Mulberries are my favorite chocolate covered fruit--I was lucky to win two bags of these delicious treats in previous packages. I could live on them.


I'm pretty sure I had a staring contest with the Radius toothbrush before I opened it--why did it look so weird? Here's some of the information that was printed on the back of the package:
  • Bristles last 9 months
  • Wide head massages gums to help reduce bleeding and receding gums
  • Soft, premium Radius bristles helpd reduce enamel erosion
  • Ergonomic Right or Left Handles ensure easy drip and Dentist recommended 45 degree angle
  • Cellulose Handle made from sustainable yield trees
  • Accepted by American Dental Association
  • New sustainable packaging reduces plastic content by 30% and increases renewable resource content to 65%
  • Polished bristles are 100% castor bean vegetable based nylon
  • Card 40% recycled & printed with vegetable inks
  • Plastic packaging 100% recycled PET

By the time I started brushing my teeth, it felt so good. Most toothbrushes have a smaller amount of bristles and it can feel quite abrasive, so this was a cool new toothbrush to have. I haven't tried the Aubrey Organics Bath Bar yet, but it looks promising.


I have really tried to take vitamins, but I cannot seem to stick with it. Gummy candies are also not my favorite--not crazy about gummy bears, gummy worms, Swedish Fish, you-name-it. Now, I am a big fan of the Rainbow Light's Lemon Sunny Gummies Vitamin D3 Gummies made with organic cane sugar. It tastes like a really good candy. The Active Health Teen vitamin, also by Rainbow Light, was no candy, but it seems to do the job. Hopefully this will be a vitamin regimen I can stick with.


I love seeing the words "chocolate," "peanut butter," and "USDA organic" on a product label, but what made me hesitate in trying the Nature's Path Organic Peanut Choco Crunch granola bars was the visible peanuts in bar. There's one thing I loved about processed peanut butter--it's creamy and you can't feel the nutty texture. My brother tried it before I did, promised it was good (aka not too nutty), and I gave a bite. The result: I'm definitely getting another box when this runs out.

So far, I have been having a lot of fun enjoying my prizes and finding that healthy alternatives feel and taste better than conventional products. Hopefully there will be more positive reviews to come!

(I wanted to check out the grand re-opening of the Green Envy Boutique in Newport this weekend, but I had a few things to take care of on the homework agenda)

No comments:

Post a Comment