Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Shopping Green/Local/Fair Trade for Christmas 2012

Last year, I wrote a Christmas wish list that had nothing to do with local, Fair Trade, or green shopping whatsoever. This year, I hope to shop only local and/or green for the holidays and beyond.

To be honest, I have been refraining from shopping at clothing chain stores. I have browsed through so many stores during the semester, but I cannot bring myself to buy them because I don't know if I can trust their ethical practices in their clothing production. The only place where I have bought clothing in recent months is Wish Newport, the designer consignment boutique downtown.

With Black Friday and Small Business Saturday a few days away, here is my shopping plan for the weekend:

Crosswynds TradersNarragansett, RI (local)- I haven't been in here for a while, but I will definitely want to look at their selection of Lucky Brand, Juicy Couture, and Urban Outfitters.

Green Envy Boutique, Newport, RI (local/green/Fair Trade)- This is where I plan on getting "smalls"--jewelry, tea, etc--for friends' gifts. Also, guilt-free shopping because it's an entirely sustainable boutique.


Wish Newport, Newport RI - Obviously.



Laura Jean Denim Shop, Newport, RI (local) - When I went in last week, there were beautiful cashmere sweaters, the cutest Frye boots, and the oh-so-perfect pairs of J Brand jeans. I plan on spending paycheck here on a cashmere sweater or a couple pairs of leggings. It will be so worth it.

Island Books, Newport, RI (local)- Picking out some new reads for my relatives and little cousins would be great. Probably my favorite bookstore.



Jack Wills, Newport, RI (green-ish)- I know they are technically a chain store, but they are a foundation member of the Ethical Trade Initiative, which makes me feel better shopping there... Also planning on spending a full paycheck here as well...

Source: jackwills.com via Mia on Pinterest

Renee Bowers of the Fair Trade Federation, whom I interviewed for my journalism assignment on Fair Trade, referred me to a holiday gift guide assembled by the Fair Trade Federation, which contains all sorts of beautiful Fair Trade certified products to give this season. The gift guide has categories ranging from home decor, women's apparel, bath and body and more.


Some of the brands are very familiar--Guayaki Yerba Mate is listed with its mate gourd; Equal Exchange is listed with its organic spicy hot chocolate; One Mango Tree is listed with its hand-loomed scarves; and Dr. Bronner is listed with its organic body care products.

Other products listed include an eco-leather briefcase by Jolica, raw shea butter by Ojoba Collective and Gone Global Cruelty-Free Leather iPad Case by Handmade Expressions.

Green America also has a green holiday gift guide, which can be accessed by clicking here.

I hope that you consider shopping green this holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment