Friday, December 21, 2012

Reading Aloud: Paris My Sweet

Since the start of my Paris obsession in the fall, I have done what I can at university to immerse myself in French culture--pick up French classes again and take a course on 19th century Paris literature. For leisure reading, I bought Paris My Sweet: A Year in the City of Light (and Dark Chocolate).

Paris My Sweet, written by Amy Thomas, is a delectable story about Thomas's move from New York City to Paris for her job as an ad copy writer for Louis Vuitton. Despite her move across the pond and her love Paris, Thomas loves her native Big Apple roots and sometimes finds herself missing a good cupcake from Tribeca or Greenwich Village.

Each chapter is named after a delightful confection--"A Whole Batch of Bonbons," "Bonding Over French Viennoiseries," etc.-- and ends with Thomas's recommendations for where to find the best in New York and Paris. I plan on following the list at the back of the book for her recommendations of the best bakeries.


This book was special to me for several reasons, the first being my dream to go to Paris and the second being my love for New York City. Moreover, I could not have picked a better time to read Paris My Sweet. I may not have been dealing with major career and life choices as Thomas had, but I sympathized her some of her difficulties being apart from friends and familiar joys.

A book does not have to be a work of Flaubert or Hawthorne to touch your heart.

Another thing that was great about was that I could pick up where I left off and immerse myself back into Thomas's delectable journey of cupcakes, macarons, and pain perdu across the Atlantic. I bought this book in September, but I did not have the time to read it consistently--I just finished it last night.

Paris My Sweet is an adorable read and I savored it like a Laduree macaroon.


No comments:

Post a Comment