Friday, December 14, 2012

Newport/Narragansett/Wakefield: Finals and Holiday Shopping (cont.)

Officially halfway done with finals! I had the Macroeconomics exam Thursday, French exam today, and completed my Magazine Feature Writing article. Next week, I have Narratives of Desire (19th century French Literature of Paris) Monday night, Cross-Cultural Psychology Tuesday afternoon, and a final essay for Horror Films due before Wednesday.

I'm not going to lie, it's been hard trying not to mentally shut down from this crazy semester...

After completing my French exam today, I went out to buy stuff to make my friends' holiday gifts. I tried really hard to buy exclusively local this season, but my broke-girl budget forced me to do otherwise. For the most part, though, I did a decent job trying to stick to "green" gift giving--I gave my friends jars of Fair Trade "drinking chocolate" and Ghiradelli dark chocolate peppermint bark squares. I bought the Fair Trade sipping chocolate, by Dagoba Organic Chocolate,  from A Market in Newport. Then, I re-purposed thoroughly sanitized small pasta jars to scoop some powder into each jar.



Source: ghirardelli.com via Mia on Pinterest

One of the challenges I faced making the gift was not so much making it, but finding stuff that was both budget-friendly and sustainable. I love ornate packaging and thoughtful gift-wrapping, yet it is not ethically conscious--it requires a lot of paper and plastic.


I used Hallmark tissue paper, ribbons, and (gasp) a plastic bag to put everything together... I wanted to use small, brown paper gift bags, but they were no where to be found.

 

In honor of today's tragedy in Newton, Conn., please pray for the victims and families of the Sandy Hook Elementary. No one should have to experience what they must be going through, especially with Christmas less than two weeks away. God bless those children <3 p="p">


To view a photograph slideshow compiled by The New York Times, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment